Living Goods has developed and proven a cost effective, high-impact community health care model using a business-minded focus on innovation, paired with critical public health delivery. As we have grown we seek are therefore seeking a Finance Senior Manager who will establish effective financial planning, analysis and measurement techniques, and oversee the development of financial reporting, business plans, forecasts and budgets for Living Goods Kenya.
Specific duties and responsibilities:
- Establish effective financial planning, analysis and measurement techniques, and oversee the development of financial reporting, business plans, forecasts and budgets for Living Goods Kenya
- Implement all aspects of cash flow, cost allocation, budgeting, forecasting, financial statements, consolidations, financial modelling and analysis for a complex social enterprise.
- Direct all appropriate accounting activities including accounts receivable and payable, bank reconciliations, grants accounting, and work with partnerships to ensure appropriate accounting and banking procedures.
- Ensure effective controls and procedures for all Branch related processes
- Prepare monthly financial reports tracking all expenditures and funds received against budget projections and recommend financial and operational modifications to ensure sound management of Living Goods Kenya resources.
- Develop, maintain and monitor internal controls over all Living Goods Kenya finances. Ensure appropriate policies and procedures are developed, communicated and monitored. Assess strengths and weaknesses of financial management strategies and implement strategic and tactical steps to improve them.
- Coordinate the activities of external auditors and respond to external auditors’ reports including the implementation of recommendations.
- Maintain current knowledge of regulatory requirements affecting Living Goods Kenya financial operations, including applicable tax laws in Kenya and other countries in which partnership offices may be established.
- Work collegially with other members of management and staff to integrate financial elements into its programmatic strategy.
Financial Planning and Budgeting
- Supports the Country Director in the preparation of Living Goods Kenya budget estimates
- Assists the CFO in the preparation of Living Goods administrative budget estimates for submission to the Board for discussion and final approval.
- Working with the Deputy Country Director, regularly monitors expenditure against budget and advises the Country Director on variances, cost escalations, and budget re-allocations
- Counter-approves all Local Purchase Orders (LPO’s) signed by the Head, Procurement
- Acts as first signatory on all payments (cheques and wire transfers) to suppliers
- Approves all ticket requisitions for both local and international travel to ensure correct allocation.
- Reviews and authorizes the staff payroll on a monthly basis
- Ensures that all statutory deductions are effected and remitted within the stipulated period(s).
- Liaises with the administrators of the Living Goods Kenya staff provident fund, to ensure that proper records are kept and that the scheme conforms to Kenyan law and practice
- Ensures that banking arrangements are adequate to support the activities of Living Goods
- Ensures all bank transactions conform with the agreed upon banking contracts, controls and arrangements
- Maintains cash flows and liquidity at optimum levels
Annual accounts and Audit
- Prepares the annual accounts for Living Goods Kenya
- Facilitates the carrying out of the external audit
- Regularly reviews and updates Living Goods Kenya internal controls and procedures manual
- Advises the CFO on any necessary amendments
Relevant Experience and Professional Qualifications
- Minimum of 8 years’ experience in Finance and general accounting at least 4 years of experience working at a senior level in a multi donor, multi program International NGO.
- Bachelor’s degree in business administration, economics, accounting, finance or related field and a CPA (K) or ACCA finalist qualification.
- Demonstrable understanding or certification in key donors rules and regulations for cooperative agreement, Contracts, Procurement, and Sub awards management and project administration.
- Computer proficiency and familiarity with a range of software applications including MS Excel, MS Word, and accounting packages.
- Working knowledge of not-for-profit and private foundation law and accounting regulations.
- Proficient in ERP software desirable
- High numeracy, analytical and sound technical skills.
- Excellent oral and written communication skills.
- Problem-solving skills and initiative.
- Strong attention to detail and an investigative nature.
A competitive salary and benefits package commensurate with experience including health insurance and bonus opportunity. The opportunity to be your best while making lives better for those in need.
What is Living Goods?
Living Goods supports networks of ‘Avon-like’ micro-entrepreneurs who go door-to-door teaching families how to improve their health and wealth while selling affordable, high-impact products like basic medicines, fortified foods, water filters, clean cook stoves, and solar lights. Living Goods seeks nothing less than a disruptive reinvention of distribution in the developing world, through networks of franchised micro-entrepreneurs who leverage Living Goods’ brand, buying power and mobile marketing tools to deliver vital products at accessible prices to the people who need them most. By combining the best practices from the worlds of micro-enterprise, franchising and public health, Living Goods is creating a fully sustainable system to improve the health, and wealth, of the poor. Living Goods has been featured in The New York Times, NBC News, The Economist, and The Huffington Post. Check out these articles and more on our press page.
Life at Living Goods
Living Goods is aiming to make disruptive changes, dramatically improving the lives of the poor. We think big, but we operate small and nimble. At Living Goods, you will have the chance to use your creativity and work with your teammates to conceive and test new ideas every day. If you work well in a dynamic, highly collaborative culture, if you set high standards for yourself and your colleagues, if you know how to fail fast and learn fast, if you meet challenges with calm determination and a sense of humor, you will thrive at Living Goods. See www.livinggoods.org/principles