Do you want your work to matter? Do you want to use your skills to make a difference, not just a living? Do you want to improve millions of lives, including your own?
Living Goods works to reinvent how we improve the lives of the under-served. We think big, but operate lean and nimble. We train community health workers to bring life-saving health services and products to people’s doorsteps. Services like prenatal assessments and well-baby visits. Products like medicines, fortified foods, and modern contraceptives.
We also transform community health through mobile phones. We teach community health workers how to assess maternal and child health with mobile phone apps and to treat common illnesses like pneumonia, malaria, and diarrhea. We also create predictive algorithms to make the best use of their time. And we test new tools like paperless referrals to clinics and biosensors to monitor infant and child growth.
At Living Goods, you will have the chance to apply your ideas and creativity every day. If you work well in a dynamic collaborative culture, set high standards, and meet challenges with determination and a sense of humor, you’ll thrive at Living Goods.
Living Goods has a team of 178 employees in Kenya and will grow to 282 in the next four years. This year we will serve more than 2 million Kenyans. In four years we’ll serve more than 7 million through a network of close to nine thousand community health workers in both our direct and assisted networks models. We’re growing because we’ve honed a model that works and we are driven by our mission: to ensure that every mother and child has basic healthcare in their community.
Living Goods is seeking three Software Engineers to join our team in Nairobi. We believe that technology is an increasingly powerful and positive disruptive force in enabling Living Goods to provide effective community health service and drive impact. As the Software Engineers, you will lead our Kenya technology team in designing, developing, testing, and rolling out, and supporting technology innovations to support LGK operations. You will provide management leadership for Tech projects though coordination and supervision of the implementation of project activities.
- Support product management and product design for all technology products, whether developed in-house at Living Goods or developed by vendors, ensuring effective communication across actors.
- Pioneer and implement game-changing innovations while managing Living Goods’ mission critical technologies, including mobile tools, data management systems and software needs.
- Language: Excellent spoken and written English.
- Join engineering team tasked with continuous development of the Living Goods platform.
- Contribute to design, development, and maintenance of features on the Living Goods platform, including new feature development, fixing bugs, code review and scalability testing.
- Work directly with Living Good’s partners and customers to understand usability, address issues, and receive feedback.
- Monitoring of cloud platform and mobile network operator (MNO) infrastructure.
- Work directly with our support team, customers and vendors to resolve issues.
- Report in daily scrums on milestones, progress towards tasks, barriers needing attention, etc. Log all development activities inside Echo's task management system.
- Guide and influence the direction of the product. Creative ideas are always welcome.
- Work with designers and project managers to ensure that systems designs are feasible and building upon past work. Be available to other teammates who may be building other systems, to maintain best practices and quality.
- Degree in Software development, IT, Software Engineering or related field.
- Have 3-5 years experience in software development i.e. Java, Python, C++
- Expert level experience of Android development.
- Experience of developing, deploying, and maintaining production web applications.
- Expert in developing backend systems using Java and Python
- Experience of AWS, SVN, GIT and Continuous Integration
- Understanding of concepts like MVC, Mocking, ORM, and RESTful APIs.
- Ability to forge ahead and independently, demonstrate effective collaboration with teams across different functions.
- Are productive in a UNIX-like environment: you can script your way out trouble.
- Understand the basics of database systems – both SQL and NoSQL databases, and can become proficient with any one of a wide variety of them without too much trouble.
- Are capable of picking up front-end JS frameworks, such as AngularJS, ReactJS, even better if you are already a master with one of them.
- Proven experience in developing and maintaining highly scalable Node.js microservices
- Enjoy working closely with and learning from designers to iterate upon solutions and solve problems together.
- Experience leading and/or mentoring a small team of developers
- Perfectionism: knowing how it should be done and not stop until it’s done right.
- Can communicate effectively in English over video and text chats as part of a results-focused distributed team.
- Ability to work through ambiguity and deal with shifting priorities
- Experience of .Net mainly Dynamics 365, Azure or MS SQL Server will be advantage.
A competitive salary and benefits package commensurate with experience including health insurance and bonus opportunity. The opportunity to be your best while making lives better for those in need.
Living Goods is an equal opportunity employer and will consider every qualified applicant for employment. Living Goods does not discriminate based on race, ethnicity, national origin, ancestry, religion, gender, sexual orientation or disability.
Our current job openings are displayed on our website, where you can search for open positions and apply directly. Living Goods does not offer any positions without an interview and never asks candidates for money. If you are asked for money, we strongly recommend that you do not respond and do not send money or personal information.