Do you want your work to matter? Do you want to use your advocacy skills to make a difference, not just money? Do you want to improve millions of lives, including your own?
Living Goods works to reinvent how we improve the lives of the under-served. We think big, but operate lean and nimble. We train community health workers to bring health services and products life-saving to people’s doorsteps. Services like prenatal assessments and well baby visits. Products like medicines, fortified foods, and modern contraceptives.
We also transform community health through mobile phones.We train community health workers to assess the health of mothers and children with mobile phone apps and to treat common illnesses like pneumonia, malaria, and diarrhea. We also create predictive algorithms to make the best use of their time.And we test cool new tools like paperless referrals to clinics and biosensors to monitor infant and child growth.
At Living Goods, you will have the chance to apply your ideas and creativity every day. If you work well in a dynamic collaborative culture, set high standards, and meet challenges with determination and a sense of humor, you’ll thrive at Living Goods.
Living Goods has a team of 150 employees in Uganda and will grow to 3400 in the next four years. This year we will serve 5 million Ugandans. In four years we’ll serve 15 million. We’re growing because we’ve honed a model that works and we are driven by our mission: to ensure that every mother and child has basic healthcare in their community.
We know that community health is a winning approach but we also know that quality health care is expensive. So we need you to advise both Living Goods and the Ministries on long-term sustainable financing options. If you like economics and health this is your chance to marry the two.
- Support the Ministry of Health & Finance. Living Goods is a key partner to the Ministry of Finance and the Ministry of Health (MOH) in Uganda. You will support government officials with technical assistance including articulating community health financing issues, analyzing options and identifying solutions. You will also advise the MOH on how best to contract with NGOs, academic institutions and other entities involved in health financing.
- Identify winning approaches and policies. Living Goods is very keen on piloting results-based financing in Uganda and you will drive the agenda of the advisory committee. You will identify other pilot projects and proven approaches elsewhere that can be tested in Uganda.
- Conduct modeling and forecasting. You will analyze proposed policies. Through modeling and forecasting you will determine the cost and benefits of different insurance schemes, policies and programs in community health.
- Be our champion in health economics. As the Living Goods expert on health financing, you will track how Uganda and other developing countries are funding both community health and the treatment of infectious diseases and HIV/AIDS, family planning and non-communicable diseases. We will also look to you to explore new health financing areas such as national and community health insurance.
- Build key relationships You will develop and maintain strategic relationships with key members within external health finance & management teams. Teams like county ministries of health, Ministry of Finance, The World Bank Global Fund and others.
- Uganda health financing creds. You have 5+ years of experience in health economics or health financing. You have a master’s degree in economics, public health or other related area. You have worked with the Ministry of Health in Uganda.
- Strong partnering skills. You have strong interpersonal communication skills. You can interact well with government officials and policy experts.
- Analysis skills. You love complex data. You can sift through and interpret qualitative and quantitative data. You know how to draw insight from information and use it to make recommendations.
- Committed to our mission. You have a demonstrable commitment to international development and global health.
- Get our model. Living Goods is a hybrid model. We’re a nonprofit organization with a private sector minded approach. We use private sector practices to achieve social goals. Candidates with for-profit and nonprofit experience preferred.
- Team player. You play well with others enjoy seeing the impact of our work as a team.
- Multitasks. You’re able to juggle multiple tasks at once while ‘keeping calm and carrying on.’ You think strategically, handle ambiguity and work well in a multicultural environment.
Duration: 1 year contract
Living Goods is an equal opportunity employer and will consider every qualified applicant for employment. Living Goods does not discriminate based on race, ethnicity, national origin, ancestry, religion, gender, sexual orientation or disability.
Our current job openings are displayed on our website, where you can search for open positions and apply directly. Living Goods does not offer any positions without an interview and never asks candidates for money. If you are asked for money, we strongly recommend that you do not respond and do not send money or personal information.